[OS X TeX] Re: AMS-TeX, graphics, and TexShop

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Feb 9 13:04:09 CET 2008

Hello Alan, and Alain,

On 09/02/2008, at 2:10 PM, Alan Shuchat wrote:

>> > I have many AMS-TeX files (amsppt.sty) created in Textures, am now
>> > using TeXShop, and would like to use these files without a lot of
>> > rewriting. I've figured out how to add an AMS-TeX typesetting
>> > option to TeXShop but don't know how to include the graphics when I
>> > typeset. I can copy the graphics out of Textures and save them as
>> > pdf files, but can I use them that way?

AMS-TeX mutated into  LaTeX+ AMSmath packages .

So the easiest is to use this combination and
alter those things that cause difficulties.

Do it first with just 1 of your files, taking
careful note of what needed to be changed.
Make sure that your results are absolutely perfect
on that 1st document before starting to do others.

Knowing in advance what needs to be changed, and how,
will make it much easier to bring all the others into
a workable form.

> From Alain Schremmer:
>>
>> Yes, the graphic file 361-34.pdf can be inserted with the package
>> graphicx as follows
>>
>>                 \includegraphics[scale=1]{361-34}
>>

> Thanks, but typesetting with AMS-TeX (not LaTeX) gives:
>
> !Undefined control sequence.
> l.33 \includegraphics

Of course it does, since it wasn't LaTeX.
But with  LaTeX + packages :
   \usepackage{amsmath}
   \usepackage{graphicx}
  etc.

this will not cause you further difficulties.

>> - How were you including the graphics? Which macros were you using:
>> pics, picmacs, boxedeps, epsf? Or were you using \special directly?
>> - What was the format of the graphics? External files (in PICT or
>> EPSF
>> format), or pictures pasted in Textures' picture window?

Use GraphicConverter or  ImageMagick (i.e.,  convert
in a Terminal window )  to convert these to  .png
or .pdf  format.

> These were primarily Mathematica graphics pasted in the Textures
> picture window.

Were these  PICT + Embedded PostScript ?
(That was a very nice format; pity it is now defunct.)

In that case you had better "Print to PDF" to preserve
the vector-graphics aspect of the high-quality image.
Otherwise you will just end up with a lo-res bitmap.

> Alan

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au