[OS X TeX] Failing to locate style files

Christopher Brewster C.Brewster at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Sat Feb 2 22:35:43 CET 2008

> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:03:03 +0100
> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Failing to locate style files
>

> Am 01.02.2008 um 18:17 schrieb Christopher Brewster:
>
>> ! LaTeX Error: File `ellipsis.sty' not found.
>> ! LaTeX Error: File `epigraph.sty' not found.
>> ---
>>
>> However, when I issue the command 'locate ellipsis.sty' I get:
>

> Locate just finds the files in the file system, without any respect
> to applications that might like to use them. Kpsewhich finds them as
> if TeX would try to find them.
>
> Maybe you forgot to run 'sudo texhash' to make them know to TeX (like
> locate TeX just searches a set of files for names, and these "hash"
> files need to be re-generated after a change of TeX in its systematic
> trees, i.e. in /usr/local/texlive/).
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised.

I discovered I have two tex installations (texlive and tetex) and this
was causing the problem.
Texlive has the relevant style files while tetex does not (at any as
it was installed).
It appears that without realising I had installed a tex installation
(tetex) when I installed latex2rtf using macports.
This added a line to my path as follows:
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
at the beginning of my PATH

Removing this, solved the problem.
Why?
There is nothing in my path that points to the location of texlive.
I thought I could re-order the sequence in the path to solve it.
Also I do not remember what else on my system depends on /opt/local/
bin etc.
ps. Changing the settings for 'Tex distribution' on the system
preferences has no effect.

Thanks for the suggestions, in any case.

Christopher