[OS X TeX] Answers to Questions in Exams

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 07:30:20 CEST 2008

Off Topic!  Off Topic!  Off Topic!

I have an n questions multiple choice exam system based on Talbot's
probsoln.sty that uses a databank in which each Exercise(i), i²n,
comes in a number of Avatar(i, j) and where ExerciseAnswer(i, j),
which indicates witch one of the choices is correct, is recorded
after the multiple choices of Avatar(i, j).

(To clarify the terminology, if Exercise(12) is "addition of single
digit numbers", the ExerciseText of Avatar(12, 1) might be "Add 2 and
3", the ExerciseText of Avatar(12, 2) might be "Add 7 and 2", etc)

What I would be able to do is to collect in an ExamKEY the
ExerciseAnswer(i, j) for all the (i, j) probsoln.sty used when
creating an ExamTEXT.

The way things work right now, for each p ² n,

Ñwith "showanswers" turned OFF, probsoln.sty picks randomly the file
Exercise(i), then Avatar(i, j) and then places ExerciseText(i, j) in
the pth position in ExamTEXT,

Ñwith "showanswers" turned ON, probsoln.sty picks randomly the file
Exercise(i), then Avatar(i, j) and then places ExerciseText(i, j) in
the pth position in ExamTEXT and then places ExerciseAnswer(i, j)
right after the choices for ExerciseText(i, j).

This, by the way, is of course a bit dangerous and I once came very
close to handing out to the students an exam where "showanswers" had
been left turned ON.

But I cannot just typeset the file twice with the same seed, first
with "showanswers" turned OFF to get the students' version and then
with "showanswers" turned ON to get the instructors' version because
probsoln.sty randomizes twice and, even though the seed remains the
same, will use different Exercises with different Avatars the second
time.

The way I see it, one should be able to insert in probsoln.sty
another boolean so that, with "showanswers" ON, one could let
probsoln.sty either place the answers as above or place the answers
in ExamKEY, a separate page at the end of ExamTEXT.

(In fact, using Talbot's datatool package, I think the answers could
then be displayed in a table.)

Failing that, it would be nice at least to be able to record j for
each i.

Unfortunately, I will first have to learn a lot before I can read,
understand and tinker with probsoln.sty.

So, for the time being, what I am looking for is just any information/
idea/suggestion/reading, whatsoever, that would help me thinking
about/experimenting with all this as I don't even quite recognize the
syntax in probsoln.sty.

Hopeful regards
--schremmer

P. S. In case someone is curious and would like to tinker, I can
provide off list an example considerably smaller than what is on
freemathtexts and that I have been using to experimentÑbut not
minimal in that I kept some of the options.