[OS X TeX] Installing Lucida fonts under home folder

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Aug 5 23:29:34 CEST 2008

Am 05.08.2008 um 21:25 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> - "sudo updmap-sys -H", which read from and writes to /usr/local/
> texlive/, is out.
>
> - "sudo updmap-sys", which reads from ~/Library/texmf/ and
> ~/.texlive<year>/ and writes to /usr/local/texlive/, is out.
>
> - updmap, which reads from ~/Library/texmf/ and ~/.texlive<year>/
> and writes to ~/.texlive<year>/, gets in.
>
> (Pete, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

This might sound like nit-picking, but in cases 2 and 3, the "sudo
updmap-sys" case and the simple "updmap" case, there is an "order of
appearance" in which the directories are searched. If both
~/.texlive<year> and ~/Library/texmf have the same file, then only
the one from ~/.texlive<year> is used. A MAP file fragment like
lucida.map or the Lucida FD, TFM, VF, and PFB files are in a good
place in ~/Library/texmf since they're found there by every TeX Live
release when they stay unique.

In the first case, the "sudo -H updmap-sys" (corrected usage) case,
the "personal" directories of user root are searched. They usually
don't exist, but it's so easy to create them by accident: sudo -H
updmap ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family.
Prepare to die!