[OS X TeX] How do I generate PostScript?

Dan Smith dlsmith at rice.edu
Sat Aug 2 19:23:46 CEST 2008

On Aug 2, 2008, at 11:00 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 2 aug 2008, at 18:48, Dan Smith wrote:
>
>>> $ -> ls
>>> mathpartir.sty       example.tex
>>>
>>> $ -> latex example.tex
>>> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>>> <clipped>
>>> Output written on example.pdf (21 pages, 291315 bytes).
>>> Transcript written on example.log.
>
> If this command produces pdf, then there is an old-fashioned
> instruction in the tex file that switches output to pdf. Try
>
> latex -output-format=dvi example.tex
>
> If that still produces pdf, then you must change the file. Report
> back here, with the preamble of the file so we can help spot the
> problem.

That's what I needed to know.  I didn't realize that the contents of
the file could determine the output type, so I didn't do any debugging
there.

Here's the culprit:
\usepackage[pdftex,draft,colorlinks=false]{hyperref}

Apparently including the "pdftex" option there causes hyperref to
output something that forces pdf output.

Thanks for your help!

—Dan