[OS X TeX] How do I generate PostScript?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 2 19:00:13 CEST 2008

On 2 aug 2008, at 18:48, Dan Smith wrote:

>> $ -> ls
>> mathpartir.sty       example.tex
>>
>> $ -> latex example.tex
>> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>> <clipped>
>> Output written on example.pdf (21 pages, 291315 bytes).
>> Transcript written on example.log.

If this command produces pdf, then there is an old-fashioned
instruction in the tex file that switches output to pdf. Try

latex -output-format=dvi example.tex

If that still produces pdf, then you must change the file. Report back
here, with the preamble of the file so we can help spot the problem.

> I don't know where to find a standard "latex" command that doesn't
> use pdftex.

It no longer exists: all non-plain tex uses pdftex these day (and have
done so for the past 4 years or so). The only tex that uses Knuth tex
is tex itself.

Maarten