[OS X TeX] TeXmaker & Textures

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Wed Apr 30 01:58:36 CEST 2008

On  29 Apr, 2008, at 14:50, Lantz Susan wrote:

> I have been using TeXShop on my Mac iBook, and I like it very much.
> But
> on the EOS (Evil Operating System) Tobisha Tablet I have to use at the
> University, I have TeXmaker. (I have MikTeX and other things, too,
> but I
> prefer TeXmaker.)

TeXmaker is a front-end (editor) to a TeX distribution. MikTeX is the
TeX distribution (just as MacTeX). MikTeX installs some front-ends
(WinEdt, at least) for you to edit your (La)TeX files, just as MacTeX
installs TeXShop, for example.

On  29 Apr, 2008, at 15:14, Chris Goedde wrote:

> If \documentclass is not defined, then you're accidentally running
> plain TeX instead of LaTeX, would be my guess.

Which sounds really weird, as TeXmaker doesn't have a TeX command per
se, but LaTeX, pdfLaTeX, etc. Also, TeXMaker 1.7 has the paths set
correctly as /usr/texbin/; for example, in menu texmaker ->
Preferences -> Commands, pdfLaTeX has the command

"/usr/texbin/pdflatex" -interaction=nonstopmode %.tex

> Strangely enough (to my way of thinking), TeXLive2007 was not
> installed
> in the usual place on the Toshiba, yet TeXmaker can find all the
> commands, packages, etc.

You said you installed MikTeX ---it installs its TeX distribution in
C:\Program Files\MikTeX 2.7\. TeXmaker knows about it, just as in the
Mac it knows about /usr/texbin/.

> But on the iBook, where TeXLive was installed in the usual place
> (as best I can tell), TeXmaker and Textures can't find anything.

Did you install TeXLive with its installation script or through
MacTeX? MacTeX is TeXLive, but it also has some scripts to set the
paths correctly. Those are the paths that TeXmaker 1.7 looks for.

> Can someone tell me where TeXmaker and Textures think the commands,
> packages, etc. are? If I knew that, I think I could get TeXmaker to
> work
> on the iBook. I don't know if the Textures fix would be as simple, but
> I'd really like to see how this new version (beta or not) of Textures
> compares to the old.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Textures, but TeXmaker 1.7
works for me with MacTeX.

Best,

Axel