[OS X TeX] Setting up dissertation text

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Sun Apr 13 23:14:03 CEST 2008

In general, my committee (philosophy) did not care very much what I
used, so long as it worked. I wrote the first couple of chapters in
Word. This was on a Mac. Despite Word for Win and Mac allegedly using
exactly the same file format (given the versions we had), none of my
files were readable on department machines running Word on Win. I
therefore had to export everything to PDF anyway (or do strange things
like sending files via the teaching lab). I suppose by the time I
switched to LaTeX,  people were used to PDF from me.

Campus IT did not support LaTeX and only one other graduate in my
department used it. I found that making contact with the mathematics
department - especially the graduate students, though a couple of
faculty members saved me at a critical printing deadline when nothing
would process - was crucial. People were very helpful and sympathetic.
If people in mathematics are using LaTeX, see if you can get hold of
the style file. If it needs updating/creating, see if you can work with
others to minimise the work involved. If your university has a standard
format for dissertations, it won't matter that you are working in
different departments.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

- cfr