Re: [OS X TeX] Re: ``/usr/texbin/pdflatex´´ does not exist

M A markoilcan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 16:56:28 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:
> Le 11 avr. 08 à 07:37, Charlse Darwin a écrit :
>
>  (Or Dick Koch, it' difficult to guess from that message what's Dick's
> original message and what's Charles' response)
>

> > With just a little more work, MacPorts could participate in this
> community, so users who install TeX with MacPorts would also get all of
> these benefits. In particular, TeXShop, LaTeXiT, etc. would work immediately
> with no configuration.
> >
> > I'm Ccing to folks at Macports in order to get their side of the story…

I certainly don't speak for Macports, but I would say that macports is
aimed at an audience for
whom these sorts of configurations are simply a non-issue. Also,
installing the tex distribution pane
stuff may also go against the philosophy of trying to keep macports as
self-contained as possible
and trying to avoid installing things outside of /opt/local. Anyway,
even if it is "just a little more work"
someone has to do it (and I might argue that understanding the whole
directory structure dance
associated with the distribution pane might be more than just a little
work), and it's probably a
low priority for the maintainer who may see little need for it
(possibly for the reasons above).