[OS X TeX] underlined variable, how to make it line break.

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Apr 5 14:33:41 CEST 2008

On Apr 5, 2008, at 7:13 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> On 5 avr. 08, at 13:11, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:
>>
>> The actual document illustrating the problem is posted at:
>> http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater/classes/thesis/
>> WSUThesisTemplate.zip
>>
>> Look at the 2nd page of the pdf and you can see the problem. The
>> sty file has the text but for a variable used for the title that
>> refuses to line break!
>
> Same behavior observed here. Looking the doc of the ulem package
> (namely, the text after \endinput in ulem.sty), one can find:
>
> One important incompatibility with braces and macro replacement:
> ALL THE TEXT IN BRACES OR COMING FROM A MACRO IS TYPESET IN A BOX.
> That is, braces will suppress stretching and linebreaks in the text
> they
> enclose.  Moreover, the specially-taken-care-of commands \-, \\,
> \newline
> and \linebreak are usually ignored if they appear inside extra braces.
> They operate only when the braces delimit a command parameter without
> introducing a level of grouping.  (Even though braces delimiting
> command
> parameters do not normally imply grouping, many commands will add
> their
> own grouping.)  Thus, you should try to limit inner braces to short
> bits of
> text or for delimiting parameters to commands. For emergency
> repairs, see
> the "Marat/Sade" example below.  Syntactical spaces inside braces
> never
> cause a problem, nor do spaces in math mode.
>
> I looked at the Marat/Sade example, but did not manage to adapt it
> to your case.
>
> Trying soul as an alternative to ulem (I was just looking at the FAQ
> when Maarten's post arrived) does not seem to work either: text is
> broken across lines, but not the line under it.
>
> Bruno

Howdy,

The documentation (at the end of ulem.sty) says that the \emph{...} or
{\em ...\/} command will normally underline and allow lone breaks. You
can then add the \normalem command so emphasis has normal behavior.
Maybe I'm interpreting this incorrectly? I see that it doesn't work;
at least in this case.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)