[OS X TeX] I can't get TeX + Ghostscript to work

Dr. John R. Vokey drjohnrvokey at mac.com
Sat Apr 5 03:51:26 CEST 2008

As the subject says, when I switch to TeX + Distiller, I get no .dvi
file generated, but I do get a pdf (that, according to the log, is
generated somewhow before the dvi->ps-> pdf process is even started
(which, of course, fails to execute because no .dvi was generated).
Here are the last few lines of the console output:

output written on hommoc3.pdf (5 pages, 79508 bytes).
Transcript written on hommoc3.log.
### /usr/texbin/dvips -R -Poutline  -o /tmp/altpdflatex.
3777-1207359988/hommoc3.ps hommoc3.dvi
This is dvips(k) 5.96 Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com
)
/usr/texbin/dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.
### FAILED to generate /tmp/altpdflatex.3777-1207359988/hommoc3.ps ()

The engine I have for TeX + Ghostscript for LaTeX in the preferences
is: simpdftex latex --maxpfb

Is that the problem?  And, if so, what should it be?