[OS X TeX] (OT) Keynote/Beamer (was LaTeXiT & Keynote)

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Sat Sep 29 15:35:51 CEST 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Themis Matsoukas wrote:
> []
>> On a side issue, as much as I like Keynote for the sleek looks, it
>> generates enormous files. I recently gave two talks, one in
>> Keynote, one in beamer. The Keynote file size was 5.2 MB, the
>> beamer file only 0.7 MB. Granted, these were two different
>> subjects but still of similar quantity in math and graphics. I
>> find it hard to justify the gargantuanism of Keynote.
>
> You might want to keep this message, so that you can show it in a
> few years: "Do you remember the good old times when a 5MB file was
> considered enormous"? :-) 5MB correspond to about 3 seconds of
> compressed video. My last Keynote talk was over 500MB, because it
> had some movie clips in it.

I know what you mean. With hard disk capacities of 100-500 MB, 5 MB
isn't really an issue. And in 5 years we'll probably run latex on
iPhones. Yet, my point about size is relative, namely, what keynote
makes versus what beamer does. On my new iMac with a 2.8 GHz
processor, 5 MB keynote files are fine. But on my 3 year-old G4
laptop, performance takes a good hit --for no good reason, as far as
I can tell.

--
Themis, who remembers the old days when running latex on a personal
computer was science fiction.