[OS X TeX] (OT) Keynote/Beamer (was LaTeXiT & Keynote)

Adam M. Goldstein agoldstein at iona.edu
Fri Sep 28 14:10:33 CEST 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 4:36 AM, Jérome Laurens wrote:

> Le 27 sept. 07 à 14:55, Themis Matsoukas a écrit :

>>> I use beamer in a similar manner, producing 4-up copies of the
>>> slide show by commenting and uncommenting short segments in the
>>> preamble, depending upon whether I am producing a version to show
>>> in class or a version to be distributed as lecture notes. The
>>> colors are altered as well as the number of slides per page.
>>
>> On a side issue, as much as I like Keynote for the sleek looks, it
>> generates enormous files. I recently gave two talks, one in
>> Keynote, one in beamer. The Keynote file size was 5.2 MB, the
>> beamer file only 0.7 MB. Granted, these were two different
>> subjects but still of similar quantity in math and graphics. I
>> find it hard to justify the gargantuanism of Keynote.
>
> What was the size of the pdf file produced with beamer?
>

>> Themis

I'm not sure who Jerome is asking about here---in any case, you can
take a look at some of my slide shows, all created with Beamer, at:

http://www.iona.edu/faculty/agoldstein/teaching.html

They are larger than I expected, but they are rather lengthy, some of
them.

The original files, which are for presentation on-screen, tend to be
slightly bigger than the 4-ups I have on the web site.

I have just used stock Beamer styles, and these shows don't have any
mathematics in them, although one has some images.

It looks like the person who started with "On a side issue . . .
" (not me; I don't know what's happened to the quoting there) says
that a Beamer-generated file similar to a 5.2MB Keynote file is only .
7MB.

-Adam

=================================
Adam M. Goldstein PhD