[OS X TeX] Re: LaTeXiT & Keynote: color management when printing

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Wed Sep 26 18:54:04 CEST 2007

> 	This question may be slightly afield for many folks on this list,
> but since in involves Macs and LaTeX, I hope the rest of you will
> indulge me:
>
> 	I am using a 3rd-party Keynote theme along with LaTeXiT for a course
> I am teaching this semester.  The theme has a dark blue background
> with white text;  I use LaTeXiT to produce equations in the same font
> and text color.  Of course, these equations are seen by Keynote as
> embedded PDFs.
>
> 	For student versions of the slides (with space to write notes), I
> generate PDFs of each lecture's notes using the Keynote print option
> "Don't print slide background or object fills" -- this, in
> combination with the ColorSync print option to use the "Grey Tone"
> Quartz filter, yields compact versions of the slides that print with
> black text on a white background.
>
> 	Except for the equations, that is -- these (naturally) are still
> white and thus rendered "invisible" in the PDFs of the slide handouts
> that the students print prior to lecture.  I could go in and change
> each and every equation manually from a white to a black text color
> (thereby having to maintain two versions of each lecture
> presentation:  the white-on-blue lecture slides and the black-on-
> white handouts).  But I'm hoping for a better alternative.  (The
> slide-to-equation ratio is slightly over 2, but that still leaves 15
> - 30 equations per lecture to modify by hand.)
>
> 	I suspect that it should be possible to use CoreImage and/or Quartz
> filters to first "invert" the colors (if that is the right term) so
> that white text -> black text, dark blue background -> light-colored
> background, etc., then filter a second time to create a greyscale
> version of this transformed color scheme.  All via the print dialog,
> or maybe Automator.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a
> way to accomplish this objective (and I have neither skills in, nor
> access to, Photoshop or Illustrator, etc.).
>
> 	If a LaTeX-based presentation package can do all this, as well as
> manage data chart creation and complex slide transitions and dynamic
> graphics, then I would like to know about it.  However, I am not in a
> position to switch away from Keynote this semester, so suggestions
> for a more direct solution would be greatly appreciated.
>
>                                          -- Mike

Both powerdot and (as has been said by another poster) beamer can
handle this perfectly.

I use powerdot for my classes and usually keep two versions of the
\documentclass line, such as

\documentclass[mode=present,paper=a4paper,display=slides]{powerdot}

%\documentclass[mode=handout,display=slidesnotes,nopagebreaks]{powerdot}

and I just comment/uncomment one and the other, as appropriate, to
produce screen or handout versions. Works like a charm.

Luis Sequeira