[OS X TeX] Two problems with Lucida Bright fonts on Mac Tex

Gordon Sick sick at ucalgary.ca
Wed Sep 19 23:53:17 CEST 2007

I've the Y&Y lucida bright fonts. I reinstalled the OS on a new drive
on my machine, which means I wiped out all my old usr directories of
Tex and Latex.

I followed Bruno Voisin's excellent directions of January 17, 2007 to
get this to work on my reconfigured machine. I didn't do his first
instruction, since it is  for the Bluesky version of the fonts. I did
move (copy the pfb files from my old personal yandy folder to the bh
folder, to enact the last part of his step 1. I followed his steps 2
and 3, installing the fonts to my local texmf, which is ~/Library/
texmf/tex/latex/

I've installed TexLive from the dmg file and I used Gerben's i-
Installer to reinstall gwTex. Here are my problems:

1.	Switching to TexLive with the System control panel, I can typeset
the sample document lucida-sample.tex, which is in the CTAN
documentation folder for lucida. The only problem is that it does not
give me the small caps examples. They are plain roman text, instead.
The pdf file with the CTAN distribution clearly shows small caps and
I do have the pfm files for small caps in
~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbrsc.pfm
~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbrsc.pfb

So, the files are there, but I don't get the small caps.

2.	Switching to gwTex on the System control panel, I can't even
typeset lucida. I get a bunch of message on my console log, like:

[items deleted, things look OK]
Overfull \hbox (19.29813pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 293--293
\T1/hlh/m/n/10.95 LucidaHandwriting-
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucida/t1hlcw.fd) [6]
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucida/t1hlcf.fd) [7]
(./lucida-sample.aux)kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600
--mag 1+18/600 --dpi 618 hlcrf8r
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlcrf8r.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
)
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Warning: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file hlcrf8r): kpathsea: Running
mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+18/600 --dpi 618 hlcriw8r
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlcriw8r.
Font hlcrf8r at 618 not found
[Items deleted because I get many messages like the last one above]

The first part of the log suggests it has found my font (fd files),
but the second messages suggest that it hasn't found them.

Any help on one or both problems would be appreciated. I did send a
message a few weeks ago when I thought I got it to work. But, that
was only with TexLive and it did still have the small caps problem.
Now, I need to run some legacy files in gwTex and I'm really stuck.

--cheers, Gordon Sick