[OS X TeX] Re: Hide temporary files created by TeXShop

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 18 17:44:02 CEST 2007

Markus S schreef:

>> I can advise you to maintain a single (set of) bib file(s) for all your
>> documents. You can separate by subject, but it is unwise to separate on
>> the document you are writing.
>
> That is my ideal as well. However, having changed my notation for
> chemical formulas several times, I have .bib files which have, eg,
> CO$_2$ or \chem{CO_2} or \CO_2 or \ce{CO2} in them. Depending on which
> package is used in the .tex file I have to choose the corresponding
> .bib file.

Yes, that's a hassle. There are several options:
- Use the crudest method you can find ({CO$_2$}) in all your entries, and
just don't bother with the chem packages for your bibliography. Since the
crudest works without any packages, it will work always.
- Use one method, i.e. be consistent, for instance \chem{CO_2}, and use a
sed script to translate to the various other representations. You can run
that script on the bbl file, just after the bibtex run.

sed 's/\\chem{CO_2}/CO$_2$/g' < file.bbl > file2.bbl ; mv file2.bbl file.bbl

I would go to significant trouble to ensure that I have only a single
bibtex database, and that the rest is automated. I wonder how BibDesk can
help here?

Maarten