[OS X TeX] Re: Hide temporary files created by TeXShop

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Tue Sep 18 01:47:12 CEST 2007

I haven't tried this as I don't wish to hide the files, but it occurs
to me that you could do the following:
  * To set up myfile.tex as desired:
  1. create a file .myfile.tex
  2. create a symbolic link from myfile.tex to .myfile.tex
  3. create a symbolic link from myfile.pdf to .myfile.pdf (which
  doesn't exist yet, but will)
That way, all the extra files will start with . and not show up in
Finder, but the symbolic links will ensure you can see the two files
you want to see.

Does anybody know if latex objects to files beginning with .? Or if
there's some other reason not to do this?

Anyway, just a thought.

- cfr

On 17/09/07, you seem to have written:

>>> That is exactly what I do (delete after certain errors and for archiving).

>>> No, I don't want to delete them every time. I don't want to see them.
>>> Except for the .bst file, I never ever really need to see or touch these
>>> files (the only reason wanting to see them is when you want to delete them
>>> for reasons listed above, what I have to do occasionally on Windows
>>> helping my colleagues with compilation errors, but for that we already
>>> have command).
>>>

>> Sorry, my mistake. To be honest, to achieve what you want within the file
>> system would require substantial rewriting of the various applications
>> code, or...
>>
>> Perhaps one could write a package along the lines of the \graphicspath
>> command that is part of graphicx?
>>
>> TeXShop is only a previewer for TeX/LaTeX and uses the typesetting system
>> to produce documents. As such, whatever file is processed needs to run with
>> the typesetting system. Whatever you do at a TeXShop program level is
>> likely to produce errors with specific packages and programs.
>>

> has anyone tried this solution entitled "Hide temporary files created by
> TeXShop":
> 	http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070906022746216
>
> I don't mind seeing all the files, so I didn't bother trying it, but it looks
> like it should work.
>
> rick

Dr. Clea F. Rees

cfrees at imapmail.org