[OS X TeX] mtpro2 installation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Sep 9 18:11:37 CEST 2007

Le 9 sept. 07 à 17:43, Themis Matsoukas a écrit :

> I installed math time Pro on a new computer under a fresh
> installation of Tex Live 2007 and although (after several attempts)
> the fonts are now working, the process was far from painless, even
> though I have done this installation before. Since I did not
> understand half of what I did, or why it did or didn't work, and in
> hopes of streamlining the process for the future, I have a few
> questions:

The following depends on whether you installed the fonts system-wide,
in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/, or in your user account only, in
~/Library/texmf.

And, in the second case, whether you're willing the global map files
(such as psfonts.map) to be updated system-wide or in your user
account; if you choose the latter possibility (global map files
created in your user account), you'll have a non-standard setup,
prone to provoke long and painless debugging in this list, and I
strongly recommend against it. In the following I'll assume you want
global map files updated system-wide.

> 1. I add manually the following line to the file updmap.cfg:
>
> Map mtpro2.map #localtexmf/dvips/mtpro/mtpro2.map

Never ever do this. In Terminal:

- For a system-wide font install:

	sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map mtpro2.map

- For a user-specific font install:

	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map mtpro2.map

> Can this be done via the terminal?
>
> 2. In TexLive 2007 there are two updmap.cfg files:
> 	/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
> 	/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg
> By trial-and-error I found that it was the second file that I
> needed to edit. What is the difference between the two?

You should never edit these files manually. See answer 1

> 3. Following random instructions on the web, I used at one point
> sudo updmap-sys but this didn't work until I used sudo updmap. Is
> this how it should be?

No.

> Thanks
>
> Themis

After writing this I see that Gary Gray has posted more step-by-step
instructions, and mentioned belleek.map which I had forgotten.

Hope this helps nonetheless,

Bruno Voisin