[OS X TeX] mtpro2 installation

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Sun Sep 9 17:43:08 CEST 2007

I installed math time Pro on a new computer under a fresh
installation of Tex Live 2007 and although (after several attempts)
the fonts are now working, the process was far from painless, even
though I have done this installation before. Since I did not
understand half of what I did, or why it did or didn't work, and in
hopes of streamlining the process for the future, I have a few
questions:

1. I add manually the following line to the file updmap.cfg:

Map mtpro2.map #localtexmf/dvips/mtpro/mtpro2.map

Can this be done via the terminal?

2. In TexLive 2007 there are two updmap.cfg files:
	/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
	/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg
By trial-and-error I found that it was the second file that I needed
to edit. What is the difference between the two?

3. Following random instructions on the web, I used at one point sudo
updmap-sys but this didn't work until I used sudo updmap. Is this how
it should be?

Thanks

Themis