[OS X TeX] Re: ~/Library/texmf: solved

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 6 17:29:33 CEST 2007

Le 6 sept. 07 à 16:04, Josep M. Font a écrit :

> kpsewhich correctly finds all files which, *up to now*, TeX refused
> to find. The mesage in the console was, for instance, "! LaTeX
> Error: File `sl.cls' not found ... Type X to quit or... etc)".
>
> I say *up to now* because the problem seems to have silently solved
> itself! I can't understand how. Maybe thanks to the more extensive
> testing you advised. I don't know what happened. But the fact is
> that previously it did not find several of different files, not
> just one of them, in the private texmf tree, and now it finds them
> all!

That sounds suspiciously like a permission problem. Just to be on the
safe side, now that everything seems to be as it should, I would
advise to check and repair and permissions, and check and repair
disk, for your hard drive.

You can do the first by simply launching /Utilities/Disk Utility.app,
but it's better to reboot on the CD/DVD that came with your Mac, and
when presented with the splash screen for installing OS X to go
instead to the menu bar, select the penultimate menu on the right in
the group of menus on the left of the bar (the menu with Disk
Utility, Reset Password, Open Firmware Password and so forth), and
launch Disk Utility from there. In this way, because you've not
booted on your hard drive, Disk Utility will be able to perform more
extensive repairs if need be.

After all checks and repairs are done, quit Disk utility, then quit
the installation program, then select your hard drive for reboot.

Bruno Voisin