[OS X TeX] TeX on Leopard

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Oct 27 01:14:48 CEST 2007

Le 26 oct. 07 à 20:04, Jean-Claude DE SOZA a écrit :

> I have installed Leopard with "Archive and Install" and my folders
> TeXShop and texmf in my Library were preserved; Image-Magick,
> freetype, png, tiff and jpeg libraries were installed from sources
> without any problem but you can install all this stuff with the
> MacTeX package from Richard Koch.

Just installed Leopard (received about 10 hours ago) with "Archive &
Install". Still have to put back all the additional software (TeX,
Mathematica, Firefox, Office, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc.) in place
again, but it seems there is much less work to do than with previous
versions of OS X, if any: IIRC correctly, on an "Archive & install",
with previous versions much of the stuff in /Library was put aside in /
Previous Systems, and you had to put back all the required pieces
(plugins, additions in Application Support, etc.) in place one by one;
now it seems all the work has been done by the installer already. (I
still have to check this more carefully.) Even my QuickTime Pro
registration has been moved to the new setup (whereas previously I had
to reenter the registration number by hand), and my MPEG2 additional
Codec has been moved too.

On the TeX side: some bits have been moved, but not all:

- All the invisible stuff in /usr/local/ etc. remains invisible and
has been moved to "/Previous Systems.localized/2007-10-26_1342/usr/
local/" etc. (the date changes on each machine), but the shortcuts to /
usr/local/texlive and /usr/local/gwTeX which I had put in the sidebar
of Finder's windows point to the new location.

- /Library/TeX/ remains in place and works, but not the symlinks
inside it.

- Fonts installed in /Library/Fonts/ (such as the Latin Modern fonts
and, for gwTeX, the TeX Gyre fonts) remain in place and work.

- The symlink /usr/texbin/ has vanished.

- The TeX Distribution system pref displays no available distribution.

Accordingly it's certainly better to reinstall the whole of MacTeX
(and gwTeX with i-Installer for those using it), and then to locate in
"/Previous Systems/" all the possible local additions to texmf-local
(MacTeX) or texmf.pkgs (gwTeX) and put them back in place.

However, there is something I just noticed and which probably won't
work any longer: MacTeX and gwTeX used to customize /usr/share/misc/
man.conf upon install, so that the man pages for the various TeX
utilities were seen. With Leopard this file seems to have moved
(again!), to /etc/man.conf.

That's it for now. I still haven't really used and installed TeX on
Leopard, and I won't have the opportunity to go back to my Mac to try
before the end of this weekend probably.

Bruno Voisin