[OS X TeX] Failure to compile Rgraphviz on Mac OS X

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Fri Oct 19 02:12:13 CEST 2007

Dear Mac LaTeXers,

I apologize for sending this query to the wrong list. But some
members didn't care that I did, and cared enough to answer anyway.
None complained (except for gently suggesting that the message wasn't
send to the right place). Thanks to all for your generous support of
LaTeX on the Mac.

The problem with the source code (which I did report to the
maintainer) has not been solved yet. My problem on the other hand was
solved by installing the binary, which fortunately was available.

On Oct 18, 2007, at 3:40 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 18.10.2007 um 13:52 schrieb Michael Kubovy:
>
>> Here is what the console says when I ask it to compile Rgraphviz:
>>
>> WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME
>> * Installing *source* package 'Rgraphviz' ...
>> configure: No --with-graphviz option was specified. Trying to find
>> graphviz using other methods.
>> checking for pkg-config... no
>> configure: Using dotneato-config to find graphviz
>> checking for dotneato-config... no
>> configure: dotneato-config not found in PATH.
>> configure: Trying default graphviz dir /usr/local.  Consider
>> specifying --with-graphviz
>> configure: Using graphviz root directory /usr/local
>> configure: Found graphviz not
>> Referenced
>> Reason:
>
> The last two lines are erroneous, the line above them looks
> incorrect. You should report this failure to the author. And: where
> did you really install this "graphviz?"
>
>> configure: We have inferred the following flags for graphviz
>> configure: ..PKG_CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/graphviz
>> configure: ..PKG_LIBS=-L/usr/local/lib/graphviz -L/usr/local/lib -
>> lgvc
>> checking for whether compiler has bool... checking for gcc... gcc
>> ./configure: line 1459: test: too many arguments
>> ./configure: line 1481: test: too many arguments
>> ./configure: line 1481: test: too many arguments
>
> Here above other failures happened. I can imagine that your
> environment is faulty. Check it with: env | sort. And look into the
> configure.log file to find details for what failed here. The line
> numbers will help to find the right lines in the LOG file. And in
> the configure script.
>

>> checking for _Bool... yes
>> yes
>
> This "yes" is caused by a slightly faulty statement in the
> configure script. You should report it.
>
>> configure: creating ./config.status
>> config.status: creating src/Makevars
>> ** libs
>> ** arch - i386
>>
>> The downloaded packages are in
>> 	/private/tmp/RtmpkHbLv7/downloaded_packages
>> gcc-4.0 -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
>> std=gnu99 -no-cpp-precomp -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
>> Resources/include -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/
>> include/i386 -I/usr/local/include/graphviz  -DGRAPHVIZ_MAJOR=not
>> Referenced Reason: -DGRAPHVIZ_MINOR=not Referenced Reason:  -
>> DHAVE_STDBOOL_H=1 -DHAVE_BOOL=1 -msse3    -fPIC  -g -O2 -
>> march=nocona -c LL_funcs.c -o LL_funcs.o
>
> This looks like cross-compiling. "-arch <whatever> -isysroot
> <whereever>" should not be used when compiling for the native
> target. The errors below come from something faulty as noted first:
>
>> i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: Referenced: No such file or directory
>> i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: Reason:: No such file or directory
>> i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: Referenced: No such file or directory
>> i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: Reason:: No such file or directory

> [...]

_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/