[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Oct 11 00:19:27 CEST 2007

Am 10.10.2007 um 23:24 schrieb Alain Schremmer:

> However, I think that I don't understand what a "data transfer
> limit" is.

Only a limited amount of data transfer is allowed, for example 1 GB,
or ten downloads ... Then it will cost, or the "host" or site will
become inaccessible. The limit can also be an upload limit for you ...

> Nor, by the way, what bandwith is.

Bandwidth means how many bits or bytes per second can be squeezed off
the line. The connection to the Internet will be ATM (Asynchronous
Transfer Mode) based, which is also the basis for DSL. In the USA the
bandwidth is a multiple of 1,544 Mbit/sec (T1). This is about 90 Mbit/
sec, or, payload only, about 10 MB/sec. So 100 MB will need at least
10 min. If three users start this project at the same time, it take
30 min for each of them.

> Can you suggest somewhere where I could get acquainted with all that?

Wikipedia?

--
Greetings

   Pete

...And always remember the last words of my grandfather, who said:
      “A truck!”          — Emo Phillips