[OS X TeX] No room for a new \dimen

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Oct 10 22:56:40 CEST 2007

Hi Florian,

On 11/10/2007, at 1:06 AM, Florian Grammel wrote:

> Tusind tak, Morten -- Thanks a bunch! (And thanks, Ralph, for the
> suggestion!)
> That simply saved my day: I would have hated to extract all
> diagrams to extra-files...
>
> And for others who might be as slow to grasp this as I was:
>
> \usepackage{etex}
> \reserveinserts{30}
>
> in the beginning of the file saves enough inserts for all other
> packages,

Yes, it does. Indeed, when I tested your preamble, after
Morten's message came through, it as sufficient to use:
     \reserveinserts{20}

Note that it is  "insert-registers" that are being declared here;
or rather, collections of related registers.
In other terminology, this could be stated like:
   declaration of place-holders frameworks for different families
   of insert types.

> the ones from my example and the about 30 more I'm using in my file.

The number of actual usages of these inserts to put something
onto your pages is irrelevant to the problem that you faced.
All the difficulties occurred within the preamble part of
your document, well before you even started to add content.

So it was a purely book-keeping problem --- one that I had
never seen before, but doubtless will encounter at some point
in the future, with my kind of work.

Thanks very much for reporting it,
and thanks to Morten for providing the simple solution,
and to the programmers that had anticipated both the problem
and solution by providing the \reserveinserts  macro coding.

> All the best
> Florian.

Cheers,

	Ross