[OS X TeX] Different LaTeX interaction modes

Paul Mantz pcmantz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 23:31:43 CEST 2007

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear.  I am rendering .png files
for web display using LaTeX, and I am rendering them in the following
order:

.tex to .dvi (latex)
.dvi to .png (dvipng)

The interaction modes I'm referring to are internals of latex, and can
be invoked by typing:

latex -interaction=batchmode

or

latex -interaction=nonstopmode

The former is nice and quiet and has no screen output, but halts on
any error, so you have to go through and look at the log files if
anything is awry.  I'm still trying to figure out more about the
latter.

What my scripts do is chop up the files and render various chunks of
it so that they can be linked into a mysql database for display on the
web; but that part is unimportant.  One of the differences I noticed
was in the mode, but  I found that the interaction mode isn't the
problem.  I would like to find some more in-depth documentation on
these so I can figure out what is the best option.

I found out that my actual problem is that since I am calling these
programs from within Apache, the $HOME variable isn't set, so kpathsea
doesn't know where my user texmf tree is.  Thus, I had to move my
~/Library/texmf/ folder into /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/, which is
not such a big deal.  What is annoying, however, is that dvipng is not
reading my fonts!  latex is running fine and sees my font, but dvipng
is incapable of finding it.  For reference, I am using Trebuchet MS,
generated from a TrueType format into type1 format, and now stored at
texmf-/local/fonts/type1.

I mentioned ricoh only because I thought my problem might be
associated to the modes, but that makes no sense in retrospect.
However, I am wondering why kpathsea is not loading my fonts for
dvipng, but is for latex.  Does anyone have any insight into that?
There's no mention of dvipng in texmf.cnf, so what is its include path
most resemble?

Thanks,
Paul