[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:33:44 CEST 2007

On Oct 7, 2007, at 10:28 PM, Jens Noeckel wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2007, at 6:38 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>> iv. The first part of the magnum opus to be uploaded will be the
>> standalone version of the algebra part of "From Arithmetic To
>> Differential Calculus" (Yes, that's the magnum opus' title.) That
>> will be finished, text, homework,review exams and all, within the
>> next few weeks. I will then make zip files for the various
>> components and see what sizes I get.
>>

> Hi,
> don't worry, this will be a piece of cake. You have a gmail
> account, so probably the best choice (since it's free and
> completely under your control) would be to create your website at
> http://pages.google.com/
> You just have to choose a name for your site (e.g. magnumopus), and
> then you stuff will be available at
> magnumopus.googlepages.com

I had completely forgotten about google. I am going to look them up
as I would assume that they look up their own pages. And, considering
all the space they allot to just email, there should be enough for
Part One.

> There are probably lots of people on the list who can provide web
> space (incuding me), but googlepages is really quite easy to use,
> so you should be OK on your own, if all you want to do right now is
> to upload zip files.

Indeed, right now, that's all I want. Later, I had envisioned …

> All file uploads are conveniently handled through a file open
> dialog from within your web browser (i.e., you will be in familiar
> territory at all times, and can forget about sftp, ssh etc.).  The
> hardest part is to type a web page in "google page creator" online,
> and insert your uploaded zip files into that page as links. As I
> said, this is all done entirely within your web browser.

So far, this looks like the best news I have had in a long while. I
will look it up later on today.

Very grateful regards
--schremmer