URW-Garamond (was Re: [OS X TeX] A question about Metafont)

S P Suresh spsuresh at cmi.ac.in
Sun Oct 7 18:40:17 CEST 2007

Dear André,

On 7 October, at 9:48 , André Bellaïche wrote:

> Today, I am facing the following problem: A friend of mine, a
> mathematician, has written a rather philosophical book, maybe with
> one or two equations. The manuscript is in LaTeX, and for the
> present time, typeset in Computer Modern (rather ugly for novels
> and philosophy). The publisher is willing to accept any pdf file,
> and all the titles in the series in which the manuscript has been
> accepted are typeset in Garamond. To convert the book of my friend
> into a Garamond pdf file, I have to do the same kind of work
> described above (or is there a better way?). Fortunately, Garamond
> is the standard example in font installation guides.

There is actually a very decent Garamond available on CTAN (URW-
Garamond), with splendid math support from mathdesign. Have you tried
downloading and installing them? That was my first attempt at
installing extra TeX fonts (back---by which I mean two years back---
when I was using an Acer laptop running Linux). I had to sweat a lot
for more than two days, given that that was my first attempt and that
I did not have root permissions. Since then I have installed more
than one font on my Mac (I have learnt with experience), including
enabling some ttf fonts on the system for use with LaTeX (based on
the excellent tutorial by Thomas A. Schmitz).

Coming back to urw-garamond and mathdesign, TeXLive comes with it. So
just try the following in your preamble:
	\usepackage[urw-garamond]{mathdesign}
	\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
	\usepackage{textcomp}

It might just work. It didn't work on my system, though! Don't know
if TeXLive comes with a broken garamond, or something is wrong with
my setup. I have Garamond under ~/Library/texmf anyway, so I have
decided to ignore the problem for now.

Even if it doesn't work on TeXLive, it is not too difficult to get
the fonts from CTAN and install them. And what is more, URW-Garamond
looks better (in my opinion) than Monotype Garamond, which is what
comes with Windows I guess, though I have to concede that Adobe
Garamond looks much better than either. Mathdesign is also very good-
looking (except for a switch between $\andover$ and $\orover$ !).

Hope at least some of this helps!

Cheers,
Suresh