[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Robert Bruner rrb at math.wayne.edu
Sun Oct 7 10:33:18 CEST 2007

While we're on this topic, maybe one of you can explain how the
following might occur.  My wife was supposed to upload a bunch of files
for a web site, and we were given a username and password to use with
sftp.  We never succeeded in establishing our identity to the sftp
server so that the upload could proceed.  The machine in question
consistently refused to recognize our userid/password pair as valid.
The person setting up the site said she had no difficulty connecting
with this userid/password pair.  We verified several times that we had
the same userid and password as she was using.

I use sftp with my machines to transfer multiple chapters at once,
etc., all the time, so it was not that we don't know how to use sftp.
In the end we used sftp to put the files on a web site of mine and sent
the URL to the person in charge and had her download them from there.
We never did figure out why she could successfully sftp and we
couldn't.  I have two hypothese:

1. There's a firewall or something in the way and she was testing from
behind it, so never saw the problem we experienced.  The fact that we
could connect to the sftp server but couldn't establish our identity
makes me disbelieve this one.

2. Despite repeated attempts we never had the correct userid/password
pair, perhaps because of encoding problems.  I can't fathom this one
either really.

Any other ideas out there?

Bob Bruner