[OS X TeX] perils of sty file locations

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 27 14:50:33 CET 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 7:09 AM, David Oliver wrote:

> Installation via MacTeX on a new computer. Personal sty files (not
> part of the distribution) in ~Library/texmf/tex/latex on previous
> machine moved to identical location on new machine. Under TeXShop on
> the new machine, the files can't be found..
>
> Diagnosis?
>
> Suggestions for good locations under MacTex install for personal sty
> files?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Oliver

Howdy,

Does a file that doesn't use your personal packages compile correctly?
Just to make sure you have a working TeX distribution.

I assume you mean ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/ (note the slash after the
~) and ~ is your home directory. That IS where TeX installed using
MacTeX will look for your personal files. If that isn't working there
is something interfering with its normal behavior. Do you have
something (e.g., a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file) that is setting
some TeX related environment variables? Run the command

kpsepath -n pdflatex tex

in Terminal and fairly early in the list should be

:/Users/YOURSHORTNAME/Library/texmf/tex/latex//:

where YOURSSHORTNAME is your short user name. Is that there?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)