[OS X TeX] fonts in leopard

Robert Clare Robert.Clare at ucr.edu
Tue Nov 20 19:45:20 CET 2007

I, like many others, have had enormous problems with Latex Equation
Editor and Latexit under Leopard.  They were not rendering equations
correctly, and, once used, Preview would display any TeX PDF file
incorrectly.  The 'standard' trick of deleting the font caches, both
in ~/Library/Caches as well as in the /var/folders hierarchy have
failed to work for me.  Rebooting was the way out (logging out might
have worked as well; if I have to log out I might as well reboot...),
which made it clear to me that something bad was being cached and that
something bad was getting cleared on reboots.

However, I just tried using the old version of Latexit, version
1.14.3, and lo and behold!  It seems to work!  At least it formats
nicely, and I can simply drag the resulting pdf into Keynote, and all
is OK.  And Preview doesn't get upset.  I kind of miss my old friend
Latex Equation Editor, as I knew its quirks, but Latexit is a valid
replacement.  Version 1.14.4, however, displayed the same font
weirdness as Latex Equation Editor.

This is all very bizarre to me, and it would really be nice if some
font wizard could try to find the root of the strange behavior that I
and many others have been seeing.  But at least for the time being, I
am much happier with Leopard than I was yesterday!

Bob Clare