[OS X TeX] Leo's Spotlight doesn't find sty, lco, engine files

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Nov 18 13:31:20 CET 2007

Le 18 nov. 07 à 12:32, Peter Breitfeld a écrit :

> There is a tex.mdimporter vor tex-files. It is written by Norm Gall
> and once came bundled with "Yaced-Emacs" but is available sepatately
> too.
> It can be downloaded from
>
> http://www.spookyhill.net/computing/latex-for-academics/

This is version 1.2 of the importer, dated 9 January 2006. The
importer has since been made more compatible with other OS X TeX
applications, and independent on Yaced. Version 1.3 is included in
TeXShop already, at /Applications/TeX/TeXShop.app/Contents/Library/
Spotlight/TeX.mdimporter.

You can get a list of all installed importers using "mdimport -L":

MacBook-de-Bruno-Voisin:~ bvoisin$ mdimport -L
2007-11-18 13:13:21.054 mdimport[1404:10b] Paths: id(501) (
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Audio.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Chat.mdimporter",
     "/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/
SourceCode.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Entourage.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/QuickTime.mdimporter",
     "/Applications/OmniOutliner.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/
OmniOutlinerMetadataImporter.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter",
     "/Users/bvoisin/Library/Spotlight/FontMDI.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Image.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Archives.mdimporter",
     "/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/
neolight.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Pages.mdimporter",
     "/Applications/Linotype FontExplorer X.app/Contents/Library/
Spotlight/FontExplorerXMDI.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/MIDI.mdimporter",
     "/Applications/TeX/TeXShop.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/
TeX.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/AppleWorks.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/PS.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Application.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/iWeb.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Keynote.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Automator.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/QuartzComposer.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/PDF.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Wolfram Notebook.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/vCard.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Bookmarks.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/Mail.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/iCal.mdimporter",
     "/Library/Spotlight/Numbers.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/iPhoto.mdimporter",
     "/System/Library/Spotlight/SystemPrefs.mdimporter",
     "/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/
uuid.mdimporter"
)

There might also be a command to get information about a given
importer (such as the UTIs claimed, or the extensions claimed), but I
never remember when and how to invoke mdimport, mdutil, mdls and
friends to achieve such specific Spotlight-related tasks.

Finally, there is a DVI Spotlight importer DVIImporter.dmg available
from Adam Maxwell's home page at <http://homepage.mac.com/amaxwell/>.
It works by invoking dvi2tty to extract textual data from DVI files.
It's dated 2005 and I've no idea about its Leopard compatibility. I'm
not using it myself, as I don't keep DVI files on my hard drive (apart
from those docs still in DVI format in TeXLive) and last I tried in
2005 the importer had problems with some such files IIRC.

Bruno Voisin