[OS X TeX] Staying on the right PATH (or something)

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 17:19:47 CET 2007

I'm sure other people will give much more enlightening answers, but
the gist of it is that GUI applications don't get to call the shell
initialization scripts that get run when a terminal opens. So
anything that is defined in files like .bash_profile, .tchrc doesn't
get read when in a GUI.

For instance if you open TeXShop/Texmaker or whatnot from the
terminal using "open", then it will inherit the environment from the
terminal and hence will have the things defined. But if you open the
app from finder by double-clicking, then the process calling it is
not the terminal, hence it will not have these variables there.

And that's where the problems begin...  ;)

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College