[OS X TeX] Version controls for LaTeX book production

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 12 18:54:23 CET 2007

On Nov 12, 2007, at 02:03, David Oliver wrote:

> I'd welcome comments from book authors on this list with experience
> with version controls, such as CVS,  for LaTeX produced books. Do
> you find them useful?

Yes.

> Do you find them useful even if you are the only user or author
> accessing the material?

Yes: I worked both at home and at the university, on different
computers. Having the version control made it a lot easier to
synchronise the copies on the various systems. This was for my PhD
thesis.

Keep in mind that a version control system is not a backup, and vice
versa, but having multiple synchronised copies on multiple machines
certainly helps.

> Recommendation for a particular system?

If you are the sole author, it hardly matters, CVS will do just fine
in that case (it did for me). You might want to get acquainted with
subversion of one of the other more modern systems just as well.

Maarten