[OS X TeX] Bibtex and non-ASCII characters

Markus S youcontrol at hispeed.ch
Sat Nov 10 23:47:29 CET 2007

Hi,

is there any smart way to deal with non-ASCII characters like the &
symbol when using a GUI-based reference software (be it Endnote,
Bookends, Papers, or BibDesk) and .bib file.

Currently, I am sometimes replacing the & symbol with \& within
Endnote, sometimes in the .bib file. Doing it always in Endnote would
be safer way but browsing Endnote this looks a bit odd.

My (planned) way out is to use a Perl script that converts all
non-ASCII characters in the .bib file exported from Endnote so that
things work in Latex. I have the Perl script, the tough job is to come
up with a list of all characters that have to be replaced (and I first
have to reverse all the characters I've already fixed within Endnote).

Any better ideas?

Markus