[OS X TeX] Just went to Leopard and ...

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 9 18:31:11 CET 2007

Folks,

On Nov 9, 2007, at 6:00 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> By the way, I regret Dick Koch hasn't posted his explanation about
> the why and how of the 4 new pdfTeX parameters \pdfpagewidth,
> \pdfpageheight, \pdfhorigin and \pdfvorigin to the whole OS X TeX
> list. It's very clear, very comprehensive, and very well-written (as
> far as I can judge as a non-native English speaker); it could have
> been helpful there.

OK, I'll bite. My explanation may have historical flaws, but I guess
I'll learn something when other list members correct me.

-------------------

I conjecture that your TeX documents use a "magnification" command. In
that case, the problem you ran into is a common problem, easily
explained. The standard solution was given earlier in this mailing
list: if you typeset a plain TeX document with pdftex, then you must
add the following commands just after the "magnification" command:

	\pdfpageheight=11.0 truein
	\pdfpagewidth=8.5 truein
	\pdfhorigin=1.0truein
	\pdfvorigin=1.0truein

Bruno Voisin suggested an even nicer solution, which produces a source
file which will typeset in both pdftex and ordinary TeX:

	\magnification=\magstep1
	\input ifpdf.sty
	\ifpdf
	\pdfpagewidth=8.5truein \pdfhorigin=1truein
	\pdfpageheight=11truein \pdfvorigin=1truein
	\else
	\special{papersize=8.5in,11in}
	\fi

The main reason I'm writing is to explain this problem, since
otherwise it may seem that we don't know what we are doing!

---------------

When TeX typesets, it outputs type to imaginary paper which starts at
the origin and extends infinitely far down and to the right. Usually
the characters are placed on this page right up to the margin, i.e.,
right up to the origin. When this page is actually printed, the
imaginary paper is placed on the printed page exactly one inch from
the top and from the left. The result is a margin on the top and left.
It is then up to TeX to make sure the typeset stuff doesn't extend too
far right or too far down, and TeX does this using the variables
\hsize and \vsize, which control the horizontal and vertical sizes of
the printed text. Note that these variables only control the size of
the actual printed area; TeX knows nothing about the size of the paper.

The technique used by TeX to magnify is primitive but effective. In
TeX there is a primitive variable named \mag. The default value of
this variable is 1000. At the very end of typesetting a page, just
before shipping the page to the printer, the typeset image is
magnified by \mag divided by 1000.

Users don't set \mag directly. Instead they use the \magnification
command in plain TeX. You can find the definition of this command in
an appendix to Knuth's TeX book: it justs sets \mag appropriately and
then redefines \hsize and \vsize so that after the image is magnified,
it will correctly cover the paper. Thus when you use magnification,
the document is actually typeset in regular font size, but crunched up
to the top and left; then it is magnified, and the result is that the
image fills the page but the type is larger than usual.

The problem is that pdftex is smarter than TeX: it does know the paper
size (or more precisely, the image size). That is because PDF files
contain variables giving the size of the image. This extra information
is important ---- for example, it makes it possible to output PDF
slides for a presentation which are displayed from a computer and
aren't intended to be printed. The extra variables which define the
image size are called \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight.

The default values for these variables are the width and height of
ordinary paper. BUT!! The variables are magnified along with
everything else by \mag. And unfortunately, they aren't reset by the
\magnification command to compensate for the extra \mag at the end
because Plain TeX was written long before pdftex existed.

Consequently, the extra commands being recommended just modify these
variables appropriately after \mag is reset to compensate for the fact
that \magnification doesn't do it.

The pdftex folks also extended TeX to allow output to go right up to
the upper left corner, rather than always starting output one inch
from the top and left. To do this, they added variables \pdfhorigin
and \pdfvorigin. That's why these also must be reset after \mag is
changed.

Dick Koch
koch at math.uoregon.edu

PS: Now experts: get out your guns and fire away!