[OS X TeX] fonts in leopard

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Mon Nov 5 05:44:19 CET 2007

> I very much appreciate the suggestions, all of which I tried, but
> alas, no luck with the cache cleaning so far.
>
> However, I should note that I observe the same behavior upon logout/
> login even it don't try to clean out the font caches, namely:
>
> (1) Acrobat displays pdflatex-generated PDF files correctly all the
> time.
>
> (2) TeXniscope never displays such files correctly; fonts are some
> narrow sans serif, with very limited mathematical symbol capabilities.
>
> (3) Preview.app displays the files correctly *until* I open them
> with TeXniscope, and then it takes two or three openinga, the fonts
> are hosed.
>
> One other observations: I have a number of PDF-based equations
> generated with the LaTeX equation editor (a very nice program that
> you all probably know about already, but just in case not: http://evolve.lse.ac.uk/software/EquationEditor/)
>  that I use in Keynote presentations.  These are also screwed up
> (both when displayed in Keynote and in the equation editor program).
>
> The behavior I'm seeing makes me think that Preview is grabbing its
> fonts from a system area until TeXniscope or the equation editor
> write their own into a user-owned cache.   I conclude that the
> problem relates to TeXniscope or equation editor (or perhaps with
> teTeX itself), but I'm not sure how to proceed in tracking the
> problem further yet.
>
> Any ideas your all might have are most welcome!

This is sort of a "Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this. Doctor:
Don't do that!" solution, but it sounds like TeXniscope is involved in
all your problems.  Have you tried using Skim instead (http://sourceforge.net/projects/skim-app)?
   I can't think of anything TeXniscope can do that Skim can't,* and
Skim does way more besides.  It's also a universal binary, in case you
are on an Intel Mac.

-chris

* Actually, TeXniscope comes with a nifty little utility that let's
you do source -> preview syncing with emacs, which is pretty cool.  I
haven't looked to see if it could be adapted for Skim.