[OS X TeX] fonts in leopard

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Sat Nov 3 01:03:00 CET 2007

Philipp Mathey wrote:

> I upgraded to leopard and now there seems to be a problem with the
> fonts. Some fonts are replaced by Helvetica or something like that.
> I first thought that this was related to TeXniscope but it also
> shows up with Preview. When opening a pdf file with preview the
> displayed fonts may vary each time I open up the document. So while
> TeXniscope never displays correctly, Preview occasionally does (it
> works after logging out), except for some italic font in the
> bibliography which is not displayed correctly. Very weird. Logging
> out momentarily helps but when I open up TeXniscope again, it's
> there again. Console: "ATSFontFindFromContainer failed: count = 2".
> (Preview) and "Unable to use font : no glyphs present" (TeXniscope).
> Any suggestions ?  Has anyone else upgraded to leopard and seen the
> same thing ?

Yes, since upgrading to Leopard, I'm seeing exactly the same thing and
I'm seeing the same errors in my logs.  In my case, I'll usually get a
good result the first time I compile my latex code, but if I compile
again most, but not all, of the fonts (e.g., italic and bold) go all
sans serif on me.  If I compile yet again, those characters that were
sans serif return to normal, but those that were normal now go sans
serif.  Compiling another time or two (or three) usually yields a
normal document once again -- though only until I compile yet again.
I've made a little web page of some screen grabs here:  http://cmenzel.org/PDFTroubles
  .

Note, btw, that you (well, I) can get the same goofy results just be
repeatedly opening and closing *the very same file* in a viewer.  The
problem is definitely viewer-independent.  I've confirmed it with
Preview.app, TeXniscope, Skim, and Yep.  It also makes no difference
whether I use gwTeX or TeXLive 2007.  And it does not matter whether I
use the default Computer Modern, or \usepackage{palatino}, or
\usepackage{gtamachoefler} or any other font package.  FWIW, I did an
archive and install to upgrade to Leopard but I completely reinstalled
gwTeX and TeXLive2007 from scratch.

I would guess that this must have something to do with those
"ATSFontFindFromContainer failed: count = 2" and (in the case of
TeXniscope) "no glyphs present" errors, but I don't know anything at
all about OS X internals.  Anyone have a clue?  Something definitely
seems systematically wrong here.

Chris Menzel