[OS X TeX] problems with Minion Pro package with gwTeX

Ted Sider sider at philosophy.rutgers.edu
Thu May 31 23:28:43 CEST 2007

On May 31, 2007, at 4:55 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 31.05.2007 um 21:50 schrieb Ted Sider:
>
>> Pete, thanks for the suggestion.  Didn't work though.  In the
>> list, MinionPro was initially not checked.
>
> The latter is correct because it's no default MAP file fragment. At
> least the MAP file fragment *was found* now, i.e. it *does exist*
> for (La)TeX (in a GUI application). A good sign.
>
>> I clicked the check box, finished the procedure, but it still
>> doesn't work.
>
> That's natural, because you did not remove the debris (as you
> described) from invoking updmap! From this you'll probably have:
>
> 	~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
> 	~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/{dvipdfm,dvips,pdftex}/updmap
>
> Particularly the MAP files in ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/*/updmap
> will be found before the new ones created by i-Installer.
>

>> (By the way, I also did this for comparison on the machine where
>> everything is working fine, and MinionPro does not show up at all
>> - it doesn't show up either checked or unchecked.)
>
> This cannot be. If you are merely unhuman and cannot make mistakes,
> then I think you have for the GUI applications and in Terminal
> different TeX setups active. Otherwise I can't explain why one
> thing sees what the other can't ...

Pete,

about debris:  there was no ~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg.  Also
there was no subdirectory ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/
{dvipdfm,dvips,pdftex}/updmap.  There was, however, a file `~/Library/
texmf/fonts/map/dvips/MinionPro/MinionPro.map`, which I removed, and
then ran i-installer again (just to be sure I'm doing it correctly:
I chose to configure only, then (after choosing to initialize TeX,
since it says I've never done so before - see below), I chose "update
font mappings"; I checked "MinionPro.map" (which was unchecked again,
despite the fact that I checked it when I ran i-installer last); I
chose no for full font inclusion; Then finished.)  No luck.  (Was I
supposed to just remove the debris and re-run i-installer?  Or
something additional?  Sorry for my lack of the relevant knowledge!)

(By the way, each time I run i-installer, it says I've never
initialized TeX.   This makes me worry that it doesn't have
appropriate permissions or something like that...)

I double-checked, and on the working machine, i-installer definitely
does not mention MinionPro.map in the checklist, when I "update font
mappings".  How can I find out whether I have different TeX setups
active?  Perhaps that is the cause of all my problems?  (Recall that
I do have an old TeX directory on the hard drive, at /usr/local/teTeX.)

I suspect this is irrelevant, but I noticed that my copy of TeXshop
lists, in the preferences, Engine pane, /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-
apple-darwin-current as the (pdf)tex path setting.  I tried changing
it to /usr/local/gwTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current, but that had no
effect.

Ted