[OS X TeX] Compressing pdf graphics

Chabot Denis chabotd at globetrotter.net
Mon May 28 21:16:18 CEST 2007

Hi Pete,

Le 07-05-27 à 20:00, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List a écrit :

> Subject: Re: e: [OS X TeX] Compressing pdf graphics
> From: "Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE>
> Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 12:19:29 +0200
>

> Am 24.05.2007 um 04:20 schrieb Chabot Denis:
>
>> \pdfminorversion=5
>> \pdfcompresslevel=9
>> \pdfobjcompresslevel=2
>
> It's worth to put \pdfminorversion=5 and with it
> \pdfobjcompresslevel=2 additionally into pdftexconfig.tex!
>
> Beamer presentations are reduced in size by 50 or 60 % (and they
> still work), files with some graphics contents are reduced by 10 to
> 20 % (depending on the quality of the graphics files included), and
> pure text files achieve at least 10 %.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete

I added these lines in pdftexconfig.tex, which in my case is located
here:
/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex

but it had strictly no effect on my large report, which remained at
20.6 MB. I added these lines in my tex document also, and then I got
a tiny saving in size, down to 20.4. So in my case, it is still best
to shrink the pdf produced by tex with pdftk (7 MB).

I don't know why performance differs so much between our two tests.

Bye,

Denis