[OS X TeX] Unix expert help needed

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Fri May 25 18:57:30 CEST 2007

On May 24, 2007, at 05:40 , Herbert Schulz wrote:
> On May 24, 2007, at 5:04 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>> Le 24 mai 07 à 07:24, Herbert Schulz a écrit :
[snip]
> I've completely forgotten about the resource forks. Even `ls -a` on
> Mac OS X hides them! The folders I've stripped were for Mac
> consumption so I haven't worried about them. I do remember sending
> some photos from iPhoto va CD to a friend with a Windows machine
> and he had to wade through the "extra" files. I think I've seen
> resource fork strippers out there but haven't looked into which one
> may be best or how to use some CLI tools to do it---I'll be there
> is one but maybe it's only with the developer tools.

If you are up for using Stuffit, I think you can set its prefs to
exclude Mac-specific stuff.  I don't have it, so I am only passing on
rumors...

FWIW, note that resource forks appear in three ways: Apple-double
format, which gives two files, one for data, one for resources; Apple-
single format, which packs both forks into one file; and as two
'forks' of the same file, in file systems that support it, like HFS/
HFS+.  'ls' won't show resource forks in the latter two formats
because they are not really files.

Justin

--
They said it couldn't be done but sometimes it
doesn't work out that way.