[OS X TeX] "clean" zip files

Jan Anderssen jan at linguist.umass.edu
Fri May 25 03:47:53 CEST 2007

>> http://mikepiontek.com/software/mac/create-clean-archive.html
>
> It is somewhat ironic that the create_clean_archive zip file when
> unzipped (via 'unzip')  ends up creating a __MACOSX directory, and is
> itself, thus, not very clean.

Hi Mark,

I have to admit I haven't done very thorough testing, but I've so far
not seen the behavior you describe.

I just did the following comparison, with a folder containing
a .DS_Store file and a file with a custom icon (these are stored in
the resource fork, i think?)

- on OS X, create a zip file via the default context menu "Create
Archive" and unzip on Solaris:
   i do get the __MACOSX directory with a ._.DS_Store and a ._ file
for the other file

- on OS X, create a zip file via the "create clean archive" workflow
and unzip on Solaris:
   i don't get any __MACOSX direcory, as far as i can see.

If you find cases where the automator workflow doesn't remove all Mac
specific stuff, I'd be happy to hear about them, since I, at this
point, just  mostly trust it to do the "right" thing.

Cheers,
Jan