[OS X TeX] Compressing pdf graphics

Guido Mocken mocken at mpi-hd.mpg.de
Wed May 23 09:50:42 CEST 2007

Am 22.05.2007 um 22:40 schrieb Maarten Sneep:

> pdftk [1] will compress pdf files for you, either the individual
> graphics, or the final (pdflatex) output.

This is definitely the way to go, because it is *lossless*
compression. To be more precise:

pdftk input.pdf output output.pdf compress

I can compress my pdflatex-generated PHD thesis (which contains a lot
of pictures) from 70 MB to just 7 MB this way without any loss of
quality.
Of course, I can achieve the same ratio using gzip or bzip2, but then
the file can no longer be opened directly in a PDF reader.

Guido