[OS X TeX] Fwd: [Ii2-announce] TeXLive i-Package updated

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Sat May 19 11:59:51 CEST 2007

On Sat, 19 May 2007, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On May 18, 2007, at 23:32 , Roussanka Loukanova wrote:
>
>> During Update & Install of the TeXLive i-Package, I got a warning box that
>> i-Installer unexpectedly quit, and the i-Installer icon on the Dock was
>> jumping crazily. But the installation proceeded with notices for success. I
>> also Updated the Ghostscript i-Package. About the end of the updates, my
>> MacBook Pro became very hot with the fans running crazily. So I had to shut
>> down the machine to cool down. Does anybody have any idea?
>
> I-Installer used Distributed Objects (DO) for communication between the
> i-Package (using DO to communicate between separate theads in the program
> also) and the program and it uses authorization stuff. It has been my
> experience over the last 7 years or so that DO and authorization stuff are
> very sensitive to small details in your setup (e.g. stuff like the correct
> permissions here and there), maybe especially so iin combination. This has
> not changed over the years.
>
> Repairing permissions and rebooting has been one of the most succesful
> strategies to fix i-Installer problems like these (which are rare but do
> happen).

I've run Verify and Repair Disk Permissions with Disk Utility, but there
is no report for anything wrong.

> So, some separate part has died, maybe some other part has started running at
> 100% CPU because of that. Some process may still have been running. The
> command "ps laxww" in Terminal shows you what is running ate any given
> moment.

Would you like me to sent out the output of "ps laxww"? Or the crash
information from the time of updating:

-rw-r--r--   1 rosi  rosi  17518 May 18 22:17 Library/Logs/CrashReporter/i-Installer.crash.log

Roussanka