[carbon-emacs:176] Re: [OS X TeX] Re: PDFViewer

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri May 18 03:48:01 CEST 2007

On May 17, 2007, at 18:33, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On May 17, 2007, at 8:05 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> Well, there are always the Adobe applications; e.g., Illustrator
>>> and PhotoShop.
>>
>> Well, I find Adobe applications about as intuitive and elegant as
>> your average X11 monstrosity, so I'm afraid that's not very
>> compelling :).
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Did I forget the smiley after that remark? :-)

Many people actually use the Adobe interface as an example of the best
way to do something, so I assumed you were serious!  If you use
Illustrator/Photoshop full time, you just get accustomed to a certain
way of operating, and it's hard to switch to anything else (as the
comment about xdvi implies).  I think TIFFany3 has a much more
intuitive image processing UI than Photoshop, but IIRC the developers
couldn't stay alive in the Mac market because it required relearning.

>>> Just curious... does Space go down a page and Shift-Space go up a
>>> page?
>>
>> As a matter of fact...yes, it seems to, and we did nothing to add
>> that functionality.
>>
>> --
>> Adam
>
> I believe that's part of the PDFKit but, of course, that may be
> wrong. I know it works in Preview as well as TeXShop's previewer.

Sounds right.  Mail.app, NetNewsWire, OmniWeb, and BibDesk also use
that for navigation (I added it to BibDesk because of the similarity
with NetNewsWire/Mail).

--
Adam