[OS X TeX] OT: looking for a public-domain EPS file editor

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Tue May 1 15:55:28 CEST 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 8:38 AM, William Adams wrote:

> On May 1, 2007, at 9:15 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:
>
>> When you make a pdf file with Illustrator (Illustrator CS 2) and
>> try to include it into a LaTeX file by using \includegraphics, you
>> see that pdftex deals with it as if the page size was A4 or letter
>> (something big, anyway). It cannot read the bounding box.
>
> Yes it can. It's reading the size as declared in the Document Setup
> --- change that to match the graphic and you'll then get things to
> match up.
>
> Unfortunately you can't script Document Setup (at least I've not
> been able to using AI CS2), so you have to adjust every graphic by
> hand. Once you've done this though, you can change your pdftex
> setup so that it pulls in the .ai files (if you save your .ai files
> as .pdf compatible).

Is it really that complicated in Illustrator (which I haven't used
for years)? In Omnigraffle, when I export to pdf, the dialog box
gives a choice of exporting the entire document, the current canvas,
all objects, or only the selected objects. (And it remembers what you
did previously as default, and of course automatically puts in the
right bounding box.) You really can't do that in Illustrator?

--
Chris Goedde