[OS X TeX] OT: looking for a public-domain EPS file editor

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue May 1 14:58:53 CEST 2007

Am 01.05.2007 um 13:36 schrieb Daniel Becker:

> By the way: I started out with wanting to have 1.3-compatibility
> and also grayscale pdf-images. I tried -sDEVICE=pnggray and this
> really looked horrible. Now the printing shop will use Acrobat to
> the grayscale conversion.

PNG is a raster format, so it uses a resolution, probably 72 DPI by
default ... With -r<res> (and res could be 1.200 or more) you can
make it look better. There is also psgray or psmono, which might keep
the PostScript vector format. Try it with the colorcirc.ps example!
For example:

	gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER -sDEVICE=psgray -
sOutputFile=GraueKreise.ps /sw/share/ghostscript/8.56/examples/
colorcir.ps

(I have a Fink installation of Ghostscript.)

> I saw the list at http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript/
> devices.html and wonder if here is the solution for on-the-fly
> grayscale conversion. But
>
> [ibook-daniel:~] daniel% gs> devicenames
> GPL Ghostscript 8.56: Cannot open X display `(null)'.

gs -h would show all supported devices (can be 100 or such). Could be
it works when you invoke gs-nox, if it exists.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
None.
They just redefine "dark" as the new standard.