[OS X TeX] OT: looking for a public-domain EPS file editor

Daniel Becker daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de
Tue May 1 12:31:41 CEST 2007

Am 01.05.2007 um 10:47 schrieb Gerben Wierda:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> can you send me the erroneous file (with the initmatrix command in
> it)? I was thinking about improving epstopdf so it can at least
> warn and possibly repair this kind of illegal EPSF.

Hallo Gerben,

which epstopdf is it you are considering to improve? There is a perl-
script that is in gwtex/texlivemacteex an is called by epstopdf.sty
by default. As an alternative, there is c-coded epstopdf on ctan,
with Jürgen Bausa (very helpful!) as the current maintainer, that
already can do a few more things than the perl-script, most notably
passing options to the gs command line.

I had only minor problems to compile the c-coded skript for OS X. My
impression that it produces worse output was wrong. I now use it with
my personal copy of epstopdf.sty that contains the line

\@namedef{Gin at rule@.eps}#1{{pdf}{.pdf}{`epstopdf --gsopt=-
dUseFlateCompression=false --gsopt=-dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 #1}}

and am quite happy.

Hope I am not annoying everybody here on the list with epstopdf.

Daniel