[OS X TeX] Spell checker

Rick Zaccone zaccone at bucknell.edu
Tue May 1 01:31:50 CEST 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, at 4:11 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2007, at 2:49 PM, George Gratzer wrote:
>
>> Excalibur is broken, Rick says he has not looked at the code for
>> so long that
>> he does not know how to fix it. I wrote to him that \verb* blows
>> it up and he has acknowledged it.
>>
>> My book blows up at the line
>>
>> formulas (see Sections~\ref{S:adjhspace} and~ref{S:binaryRelations}).
>>
>> GG
>
> Howdy,
>
> Well, it used to work and now it's broken so what changed in the
> code? :-)
>
> I'll have to look into whether we should keep Excalibur as part of
> the MacTeX distribution.
>
> I have to admit I've been using CocoAspell for along time and like.
> I believe wyou can add words to a personal spelling file by right
> (Ctl)-clicking on the ``misspelled'' word and choosing ``Learn
> Spelling'' from the contextual menu but maybe it only remembers it
> for that session.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

The only problem that I'm aware of in Excalibur is that it will only
work if the file is encoded using Mac OS Roman.  It doesn't
understand other encodings.  Is that the problem?

I've had surprisingly few bug reports since my last release.  I'll
bet there have been only about three and they were minor.

I have some vague recollection of a problem with \verb*, but to be
honest, I don't remember what it is.  (Send me a note off list and
remind me what's wrong.)  I'm sure I could fix it, but my problem is
that it's been a long time since I've worked on Excalibur, and I
would have to get up to speed on all the things that have changed in
Mac OS X before I could do anything.  Someone who has been
programming in Mac OS X could probably fix problems fairly readily.
That's why I made the project open source.  I would be happy to work
with someone on this.

Rick