[OS X TeX] Package/class for creating surveys

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 00:43:16 CEST 2007

On Mar 30, 2007, at 5:49 PM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> On Mar 30, 2007, at 8:52 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>>
>>> Here is an example of what I'd like. A LaTeX code that looks
>>> something like the following:
>>>
>>> \begin{options}
>>> 	\option Not really
>>> 	\option Somewhat
>>> 	\option Very much
>>> \end{options}
>>>
>>> Then this ideally would end up looking in both of the following
>>> two ways, depending on some easy option somewhere that I should
>>> be allowed to set:
>>>
>>> one way:
>>>
>>> Not really (little box to tick here)        Somewhat (another box
>>> here)       Very much   (another box here)
>>>
>>> the other way:
>>>
>>> Not really _____________    Somewhat ______________    Very much
>>> _______________
>>>

>>> A cursory glance at the package did not really show me that it
>>> has the commands to do something like that, but perhaps I missed it.
>>

>> 1) I don't really understand why the LaTeX code above would be
>> preferable to using probsoln since the latter creates this kind of
>> code systematically: if you have only one "problem" in each
>> problem set file and let probsoln pick only one problem in each
>> problem set file, you should get the above effect. Or what am I
>> missing?
>
>> 2) Can't the "two ways" be achieved with a boolean?
>>
>> 3) Inasmuch as probsoln uses enumerate for the choices, shouldn't
>> it be possible to use "Not really", "Somewhat" and "Very much"
>> instead of a., b., and c.?
>
> Guess I am answering 1 through 3 here: I would simply like for the
> box or straight lines to be created automatically by the command,
> and I just didn't see an example in the probsoln guide that would
> do that

No, because probsoln only manages the multiple choice aspect but I
think that you can have the boxes or straight lines by including pdf
graphics in the choices with an ifthenelse{boolean}{}{} where you
turn on/off the boolean.

> , and also no example to place the options in a row.

That I think you can do by using inparaenum instead of enumerate. (I
routinely use asparaenum when the choices are long and so must be
listed vertically and inparaenum when the choices are short and can
be listed horizontally and thus save paper.)

> I think am asking essentially for two custom list environments,

asparaenum and inparaenum are in paralist.sty along with other
possibilities.

Regards
--schremmer