[OS X TeX] Why so severe?

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Fri Mar 30 01:10:39 CEST 2007

Le 29 mars 07 à 21:05, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> On Mar 29, 2007, at 11:33 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:
>
>> The new Latex/Texlive 2007 seems to be more severe (strict, stern,
>> unforgiving) then the old one.
>>
>> For example, last year I had no problem with input foo, and now,
>> if I don't type \input{foo} (with braces), TeXShop freezes
>> instantly without even writing something on the console. This was
>> not esay to debug!
>>
>> Is this deliberate politics from the LaTeX designers ?
>>
>> André Bellaïche
>
> Howdy,
>
> I've just tried both
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> \input{foo}
> \end{document}
>
> and
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> \input foo
> \end{document}
>
> where foo.tex contains
>
> This is \textt{foo.tex}.
>
> (note that there is a return at the end of the line) and have no
> difference in the output.
>
> Can you give a minimal example where there is a problem?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

  My example is :

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\begin{document}
\input test
\end{document}

and

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\begin{document}
\input{test}
\end{document}

The file test.tex contains only the word "test", and no carriage return.

If I use the first version (without braces), TeXSho freezes
instantly, the TeXShop console does not show up, and after some time,
when you open the "Force to quit" window, you see the name of TeXShop
printed in red. There is no other choice than to quit TeXShop.

With the second version, everything runs, the console opens up, and
shows the lines

This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
\write18 enabled.
%&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
etc.

then the pdf window opens up, showing the text "test" printed.

André Bellaïche